Monday 8 April 2013

Where it all began...

Well it's about time I get on with posting something relevant to the point of this blog! So I'll begin by explaining some key points I had going on in my life before I made this lifestyle change.

I had never been sporty as a child and absolutely loved to eat sweeties, cakes and crisps, just like any other kid! However, these treats came at a price as I never really took to exercise and the weight seemed to go on a lot easier on me in comparison to my slim friends with those damned fast metabolisms! Anyway, fast forward a few years and there comes the time of turning 18. Of course, this is a complete milestone, being able to go out and get drunk legally in a pub or club was pretty much going to be a feature of our weekends until we settled down. Naturally, I went out a lot with different groups of friends and, yes, ordered the large chips and cheese at the end of the night...

An important part to remember here is yes, I was extremely uncomfortable with how I looked but when you're young and experiencing these new things all at once you want to do it the same way as all of your friends did. This was until I met Thomas, my boyfriend of 2 years and I went on the Nexplanon Implant. This is a tiny wee bit of plastic fashioned by the devil in his little firey office in hell, that releases hormones in your system over 3 years to stop you from getting pregnant. Yay. NOT. This was probably the worst decision I had ever made. Getting the implant, personally, ruined me for 6 months. I gained an obscene amount of weight on top of my already chubby proportions, turned Anaemic, lost hair, and turned into an emotional, hormonal wreck over the tiniest scenarios. Again, I'd like to point out that the implant only effected me, personally, in this way. To other people, its fantastic, I was just the unlucky 1 in 4 who it affected in a bad way!

Back to my story (told you I ramble), I had tried numerous diets over the years and could probably count more bits of crumpled paper with, 'diet plans' scattered around my room than I have fingers and toes. I'm not sure if that made much sense but, you get the idea. I'd been round this block multiple times and always gave up because I was never focused. This was until February 2012. I was in the doctors clinic getting a regular check up of my blood count and iron. It was when the doctor told me I needed to be measured in height and weight that my heart skipped a beat. Scales. Something that I had always ran away from screaming, with my hands flailing in the air. This was the moment my life changed forever. As dramatic as it sounds, its so true. I was told I was border-line obese and that I needed to go on a diet or I would be too overweight to use the normal pill as a contraception, I would need a different type of pill because, well lets face it, I was too fat. KAPOW, the words that slapped me into action!

From then life changed dramatically. My mother and I decided to loose weight together which is something I cannot recommend enough. Having a partner to work with, to motivate, to inspire really does help. This is one of the reasons I'm making this blog so that I can help you all who don't have anyone else! Anyway, my first real, 'workout', was the next morning at- wait for it- 6am. We were pretty determined! From there, I never looked back. As horrible as being told those words off of a doctor was, I would never take them back. They were the push I needed to becoming healthier and better yet, loving working out.

This is where you need to look at your life. Have you ever avoided mirrors? Have you ever been upset in a changing room that your normal size just wont fit anymore? Have you ever bought loose fitting clothes in attempts to hide fat? Have you ever looked at someone and thought, 'I wish I looked like them' and doing absolutely nothing about it? Have you ever avoided getting full length photographs being taken? Has anyone ever called you fat...?

I felt all of these. I was a professional at covering my tummy with a giant bag in photographs, hiding behind friends in attempts of concealing my size in photographs and just generally avoiding anything which meant I had to look at myself. Another thing that I complained copiously to myself about was heat, especially when I went on holiday to Spain with my friends in 2011. The sand and sweat joining menacing forces all day, every day, creating stinging chaffing and unsightly red blotches all over my skin was nothing to be happy about. Having to wear minimal clothing to try and keep cool during the day proved difficult as nothing I wore made me confident, just fat fat fat.

Things like this in life shouldn't happen, you should be able to enjoy every moment of life and being proud of the person you are.

These are the things that you should swear will never happen again, and instead have a goal. My goal, and still is, was to wear a bikini on holiday when I went in June 2012. Which I did! I wasn't 100% comfortable of course, but I still wore one, and I wore it with pride. My goal today is to get down to a smaller percentage of body fat and tone my tummy up, which I'm afraid is still pretty jiggly.

Whats your goal? Whats your story? Please please please be sure to let me know. I would love feedback on this blog and I'm not 100% sure how subscribers work. If anyone knows, advice would be great! Anyway, leave a comment and tomorrow I shall be posting away again, letting you all know how I exercised, how I currently exercise and my food do-s and don'ts!

As always, thanks for the support and keep checking back for updates :)

Emily xx

                                                          B  E  L  I  E  V  E

10 comments:

  1. Catriona MacQueen9 April 2013 at 03:04

    Ah emily! This is so amazing, I can totally relate to this because I remember those days.. you hiding behind a big bag, i've never really realised why until now! Also the heat in Salou "we cant go anywhere without air con..." that totally makes sense now! When we went to to Murica you wore a bikini and looked amazing and i'm so proud of that step! Well done, I hope other people can learn from your experience <3 xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) I'm so glad you remember these things makes it more real, more of a push to keep heading in the direction im going! Love you lots and I hope so too! Thanks for the support!! xxxxxxx

      Delete
  2. U have done amazing emily! U must be so proud of ur self and such a happier person now hopefully ill be able to do the same and escape this fat body lol ohh and i dont know if my name will post do ill just write it here lol jenny henderson :)xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jenny! Awk that was lovely thankyou very much. I mean it when I say if I can do it anyone can, you just need to believe in yourself and have a goal! Much love :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Emily! I just want to thank you for taking the time to do such wonderful blog! I started my weight loss journey on Jan 3, and between school and three jobs i have fallen off the wagon, but not given up! As soon as my classes are done i want to give myself time to organize my life, plan ahead, and blend a healthy life... with my real life. I have lost 10lbs, not much.. but im still proud of them. I am happy to have found your blog because it has given me new motivation. So THANK YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nathalie!

      What a kind comment, thank you so much :-)
      You sound like you have a hectic lifestyle but you also sound like you are extremely motivated and that is the key element in losing weight. Well done on your 10lbs weight loss, we all have to start somewhere and 10lbs is AWESOME!

      I hope you enjoy what's to come and let me know how you get on in your journey as I would love to hear how you get on :)

      Emily xx

      Delete
  5. Emily I met you yesterday at college. To me, you were just another young skinny beautiful girl that I am jealous of and is so lucky to be so naturally thin.
    Funny how people make snap judgments eh?

    I had anorexia for 10 years then when I found out I was pregnant in 2009 I snapped. By body was no longer my own to torture. I haven't been back there since. But now? Now I'm left in the predicament of beong 11 st 7 and scared to beong exercising incase the worst happens again.

    I should mention to you, the reason I became anorexic, I gained 3 stone in 7 months due to thr contraception jag!! It sent me loopy and fat and completely ill.

    You really have a way with words pet and hopefully you can see what we see in that you should just maintain now. You're perfect. Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lyndsey isn't it? Thank you for your wonderful comment! That's utterly amazing to hear, I had never thought someone could judge me like that before, I was always assuming people were saying, 'look how fat she is' etc. Its bizzare hearing the opposite!

      Wow. That's unreal, well personally I think you look great. 10 times better anyone with anorexia looks, you look so confident too, and you should be!

      Contraceptives are the worst, bloody ridiculous things we have to do as women haha.
      Thank you hun, I really do love writing so it's a great way to vent! In terms of weight, I'm not 100% happy but I am trying not to focus on the number on the scale anymore and focus on losing tummy fat and toning up etc. I'm far from perfect but for even someone to describe me as it is so kind and beautiful.

      Thank you again, and I hope you enjoy my ramblings if you come back for another visit! :)

      xx

      Delete
    2. laura mcdermid1 May 2013 at 14:27

      Such a great achievement Emily! Well done!!!

      Delete
  6. Hi! I'm Susana. I'm 14 years old and well I have no self esteem. Besides being bullied since I was actually 4, I hate my body. I hate how chubby I am. I have tried to lose weight, counting calories, and other things but nothing ever works. Can you help me?

    ReplyDelete